List of Music Industry Terms and Companies Beginning with the Letter M
by No. 1 Best Selling Author, Jaci Rae
- Monitor: A system set up via a speaker or in-ear monitor that allows each player on stage hear one another
- Music Agent: Seeks employment for the artist and negotiates performance contracts. Gets the artist the gig.
- Music Business Manager: Keeps track of an artist's finances. Usually a CPA who specializes in the entertainment industry.
- Music Director: MD The manager at a radio station who decides what songs will be added to the radio station's playlist. A MD reports directly to the Program Director.
- Music Format: The genre of music being played on a radio station. (CHR, R&B, Easy Listening, Sports Talk, etc.)
- Music Manager: Looks at the big picture for the career of the musician, setting long-range goals on their behalf. Also responsible for overseeing others who participate in the career of the artist.
- Music Market: The demographics of the listeners.
North Shore Records, Inc. and Jaci Rae are not responsible for, nor do we recommend any people who may be listed in this article. Please be sure to carefully check references and verify that anyone with whom you proceed into a business arrangement is legitimate.