List of Music Industry Terms and Companies Beginning with the Letter P
by No. 1 Best Selling Author, Jaci Rae
- P.A.: Public Address System. A P.A. is used during a concert to deliver sound to the audience.
- Payola: The illegal practice of making payments via cash or other methods to radio personnel in exchange for playing a record labels artist.
- P.D. a.k.a Program Director: The P.D. is in charge of a radio station's programming decisions.
- Per Diem: Travel, food, and transportation allotment.
- P.O.P.: a.k.a Point of Purchase Promotional displays in retail stores. Also known as End Caps.
- Press Kit: Press Pack or Promo Pack. A professional portfolio that contains a CD, 8x10 photograph, biography and press clippings. A press pack can also contain the lyrics of songs included on your CD (if they aren't listed inside the jacket) and favorable quotes about your concert appearances and music. A press pack is used to obtain gigs, management or a record label contract.
- Pyrotechnics Technician: The person in charge of any fireworks or other similar effects used at a concert. A Pyrotechnics Technician must be licensed by the state they practice in.